Our Mission...PYTI provides partnership-based post-graduate and graduate level education in medical therapeutic yoga to transform healthcare and self-care and to advocate for use of yoga in medicine, rehabilitation, and wellness practice.
Medical Therapeutic Yoga DefinitionMedical Therapeutic Yoga is the practice of yoga in medicine, rehabilitation, and wellness settings by a licensed health care professional who is completing or has graduated from the Professional Yoga Therapy Institute program and has been credentialed as a Professional Yoga Therapist-Candidate or Professional Yoga Therapist.
- to evolve yoga for use in healthcare.
- to transform the biomedical model through use of the WHO endorsed biopsychosocial model of care.
- to foster creativity and innovation in healthcare through training a bilingual practitioner, the Professional Yoga Therapist. A PYT can fully utilize the power of yoga through biomedical science. A PYT's background gives them an advantage and expertise that makes them the ideal practitioner to teach and apply yoga therapeutically to complex patient populations.
- to address social conditioning and gender-bias in healthcare to guide ourselves and our communities toward optimal gut-brain-body health and self-care.
- to teach partnership-based rehabilitation via Caring Economics theory. PYTI is a member of the Caring Economy Coalition, and PYTI Founder, Ginger Garner, is a certified Caring Economics Conversation Leader. Caring Economic Theory works to bring value to culturally sensitive, egalitarian principles through shifting practice paradigms in economics, education, and healthcare.