This webinar provides research on how nutrition and movement affects osteoarthritis (OA) and how OA can be better managed through an integrative approach. This course enables the clinician to use a system-approach to affect orthopaedic outcomes encased in a biospsychosocial model of assessment that is supported by both the World Health Organization and the Institute of Medicine.
Epidemiology, high-risk populations, and risk factors for development of OA and related diagnoses are identified. Critical new research developments that correlate gastrointestinal health and orthopaedic health and outcomes are discussed and applied in a case study format.
In addition to a review of literature, Ginger offers clinical application for affecting OA through evaluation of 21 yoga postures and other therapies in acute, subacute or chronic phases. Additionally, this course prepares the clinician to identify and recommend nutritional interventions within a biopsychosocial, multidisciplinary framework in order to improve overall orthopaedic outcomes in the patient.
- Describe how Medical Therapeutic Yoga (MTY) can improve health care and its delivery.
- Identify evidence-based methodology for using MTY in healthcare.
- List predisposing risk factors for & epidemiology of osteoarthritis.
- Identify the critical role of cellular inflammation & inflammatory biomarkers in orthopaedic health.
- Identify joint pathophysiology in order to understand preventive and therapeutic categories used in managing acute, subacute, or chronic OA.
- Analyze 21 yoga postures and indications and contraindications used in management of osteoarthritis.
- Identify how functional gastrointestinal disorders (FGID) impact patient outcomes and your role in intervention.
- Identify precursors of FGID and critical cellular and genetic risk factors in order to understand how integrative and functional medicine can improve clinical outcomes.
- Describe how integrative and functional medicine can effectively operationalize evaluation and management of all orthopaedic dysfunctions and diagnoses.
- List the vital facets of “gut-brain-body” health.
- Discuss the role of neuroendocrinology in improving orthopaedic outcomes.
- List yogic biopsychosocial interventions that can be implemented to improve patient outcomes and satisfaction.