CEUs Awarded: 3
This webinar provides research and methods for affecting osteoarthritis using the current evidence-base and combining yoga as a primary treatment modality. This course enables the clinician to use a system-approach to affect orthopaedic outcomes encased in a biospsychosocial model of assessment that is supported by both the World Health Organization and the Institute of Medicine.
Epidemiology, high-risk populations, and risk factors for development of osteoarthritis and related diagnoses are identified. Critical new research developments that correlate gastrointestinal health and orthopaedic health and outcomes are discussed and applied in a case study format.
In addition to a review of literature, Ginger offers clinical application for affecting osteoarthritis through evaluation of 21 yoga postures and other CAM therapies for the therapist in acute and subacute or chronic phases.
Additionally, this course prepares the clinician to identify and recommend nutritional interventions within a biopsychosocial, multidisciplinary framework in order to improve overall orthopaedic outcomes in the patient.
- Describe how MTY can improve health care and its delivery.
- Identify evidence-based methodology for incorporating MTY into current rehabilitation programs.
- List predisposing risk factors for & epidemiology of osteoarthritis.
- Identify the critical role of cellular inflammation & inflammatory biomarkers in orthopaedic health.
- Identify joint pathophysiology in order to understand preventive and therapeutic categories used in managing acute, subacute, or chronic OA.
- Analyze 21 yoga postures and the indications and contraindications used in management of osteoarthritis in the hip, knee, shoulder, and spine.
- Identify how functional gastrointestinal disorders (FGID) impact patient outcomes and your role in intervention.
- Identify precursors of FGID and critical cellular and genetic risk factors in order to understand how Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) can improve clinical outcomes.
- Describe how two major categorical areas of CAM can effectively operationalize evaluation and management of all orthopaedic dysfunctions and diagnoses.
- List the vital facets of “gut-brain-body” health.
- Discuss the role of neuroendocrinology in improving orthopaedic outcomes.
- List yogic biopsychosocial interventions that can be implemented to improve patient outcomes and satisfaction.